Friday, May 21, 2010

Bit/Horse Training Help?!?

Okay I'm training my horse for hunter jumper I got my trusty dusty nylon bridle-lol. I need to know what kind of bit I should use with her. She is a three year old and has a chipped tooth in front if that matters [pinto arab]. I'm going to Ace Tack so go to there website: www.acetack.com. What kind of bit should I get?? Or anything else for training my horse. Thanks!

Bit/Horse Training Help?!?
I always recommend starting any horse in a smooth snaffle. Most trainers will tell you the same. I love my O-rings and D-rings, I start my 2 year olds off in a smooth snaffle of either O or D ring, and then progress to the half twisted or full twisted wire snaffle.


Depending on your bridle you may also want to get a curb chain so your bit does not slide into your horses mouth. I also suggest getting Sport Medicine Boots and Bell Boots when riding. This is to protect your horse from any injuries.


Hope this helps and happy trails.
Reply:honestly it depends on the horse. soem horses are fine in a regular snaffle, but others may need something with a low port or shanks for stopping.if you horse has really good brakes and stops easily the try a d snaffle. you might find to that once you start jumping you need something a little stronger for slowing down. i can ride my horse on the flat with a d snaffle but he tends to get a little excited when jumping and doesnt have the good whoa on him. he still stops just takes a little bit longer.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net